Case managers and other disability professionals are a vital resource to individuals with I/DD and their family members in discussing and creating future plans. Depending on the role you play, there are different ways that you can support families in the future planning process:
- Discuss the importance of future planning as part of the annual Individual Service Plan (ISP) meeting or other meetings with the family.
- Talk with the people with I/DD whom you serve about their vision for the future and support their efforts to develop the skills they will need to realize that vision.
- If your agency does not provide future planning services, then refer families to training sessions on future planning or to service providers and advocates in the community that can help.
- Work with families to identify appropriate options for housing, employment, daily activities, supports, and services.
- As part of the annual ISP meeting, remind families to update the plan once it’s written.
- Support the individual with I/DD to develop connections within the community.