Urgent Need

Need Urgent Help? Start Here

Do you know a person with an intellectual or developmental disability (I/DD) who has an immediate need for temporary or permanent support because a parent or primary caregiver can no longer provide that help?

Immediately contact the state I/DD agency to help navigate the state service system. Every state has different ways of providing services, and the state I/DD agency will identify short and long-term options for the person with I/DD. You may also contact a chapter of The Arc for more guidance on how to support the person through this transition.

Gather Information

It will be helpful to the state agency for you to have as much information as possible about the person with I/DD. As you start to collect and organize this information, consider this question - “During this transition, what would the person need so his or her daily routine is not disrupted?”

Many people with I/DD receive public benefits such as Medicaid and Supplemental Security Income. If you have access to information about the person’s benefits, provide that information to the state agency.

Provide the state agency with information about the person’s life.